Friday, February 15, 2008

The Economics of Environmental Policy

Thinking about what we talked about two weeks ago, I’m interested in possibly exploring the class aspect of environmental policy. I have done a little research on the air quality in the projects of South Bronx. Compared to other areas of New York City, the South Bronx has a much higher rate of asthma among its residents and especially among children. I am interested in either doing a piece of art that represents the problem, maybe a glass structure encasing dust or somehow convey what floats in the air, or the solution. One proposal to help improve the air quality in South Bronx is to install green roofs, a layer of soil and foliage on the tops of buildings. Another idea I had was covering something with the materials that make a green roof. I would love to work with other people if anyone is interested!

3 comments:

Emma said...

Hey Maggie,

I really like how your idea has a straight forward purpose. Another cause of asthma in lower income neighborhoods is that children do not have the same opportunities to go outside to play and get exercise. So perhaps the proposal could be combined with introducing more outdoor spaces for children to safely play. Both the greenroofs and playspaces could be artful also. I would like to maybe work with you on your project or help contribute. so yeah, let me know what you think

Maggie said...

I think your idea of designing a playspace really integrates the problem and the solution. We could possibly tie the green roof and the playspace into one concept. I would definitely like to work together.

Emma said...

yay! i also know a woman who designs greenroofs for a living so i'll definitely get in touch with her.